Get the latest updates on NC State's response to COVID-19 (coronavirus) and access resources to stay informed. Learn more here.
Dr Michael L. Schwalbe
Teaching and Research Interests
- Dramaturgical Social Psychology
- Reproduction of Inequality
- Sociology of Gender
- Life History/Biography
- Visual Sociology/Documentary Photography
- Schwalbe, M.L. (2014). Manhood Acts: Gender and the Practices of Domination. Boulder, CO: Paradigm.
- Schwalbe, M.L., and H. Shay (2014). "Dramaturgy and Dominance." In J. McLeod, E. Lawler, and M.L. Schwalbe (eds.), Handbook of the Social Psychology of Inequality. New York: Springer.
- Schwalbe, M.L. (2013). "Situation and Structure in the Making of Selves." In C. Edgley (ed.), The Drama of Social Life: A Dramaturgical Handbook. Burlington, VT: Ashgate.
- Schwalbe, M.L. (2011). Smoke Damage: Voices from the Front Lines of America's Tobacco Wars. Madison, WI: Borderland Books.
- Schwalbe, M.L. (2010). "In Search of Craft." Social Psychology Quarterly 73:107-111.
- Schwalbe, M.L. (2009). "Framing the Self." Symbolic Interaction 32:177-183.
- Schwalbe, M.L. (2008). Rigging the Game: How Inequality Is Reproduced in Everyday Life. New York: Oxford.
- Schrock, D., and M.L. Schwalbe (2009). "Men, Masculinity, and Manhood Acts." Annual Review of Sociology 35:277-295.
- Schwalbe, M.L. (2009). "We Wear the Mask: Subordinated Masculinity and the Persona Trap." In P. Vannini and P. Williams (eds.), Authenticity in Culture, Self, and Society. Burlington, VT: Ashgate.
- Schwalbe, M.L. (2004). Remembering Reet and Shine: Two Black Men, One Struggle. Jackson, MS: University Press of Mississippi.
- Ph.D. in Sociology from Washington State University, 1984
- M.A. in Sociology from Washington State University, 1981
- B.S. in Sociology from University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, 1979
- Mon: 1:30-2:30
- Wed: 1:30-2:30
- SOC 445 - 001Inequality, Ideology, and Social Justice03:00 - 04:15 M W124 1911 Bldg
- SOC 457 - 001Corporate Power in America01:30 - 02:45 M W124 1911 Bldg