Get the latest updates on NC State's response to COVID-19 (coronavirus) and access resources to stay informed. Learn more here.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: 1911 Bldg 305, Box 8107
Raleigh, NC 27695
- Vita: download vita
I am an applied social scientist who helps organizations and the people serving them to ask and answer questions that make a difference.
During graduate school and after graduating with my PhD in sociology, I helped organizations frame research questions and collect and analyze data.
As an attorney, my passion was helping nonprofits and small, community-oriented businesses organizations. Sometimes this was good legal engineering. But my academic background helped me offer scientifically informed advice as well. For example, in addition to viewing boards of directors as actors in a legal and regulatory framework, I might interpret board dynamics through the prisms of social traps, unacknowledged status dynamics, poorly designed incentive structures, or overconformity. Educating boards and crafting sensible (if occasionally novel) bylaws and policies could then serve legal compliance and address more fundamental problems.
My mission as an NCSU lecturer is to use social science to prepare students for life in organizations fraught with uncertainty and human folly.
I have a 2018 Certificate for the NCSU Accessibility in the Classroom Course.
Teaching and Research Interests
Research methods & statistics; small groups; laws and rules; microsociology and social psychology; attitudes; organizations; survey design and administration; crime, law & deviance; health and mental illness.
- PhD in Sociology from UW-Madison
- MS in Sociology from UW-Madison
- JD in Law from Lewis & Clark Law School
- BS in Psychology from UW-Seattle
- BA in Sociology from UW-Seattle
- Mon: 10:00-12:00
- SOC 381 - 001Sociology of Medicine11:45 - 01:00 T H029 Winston Hall
- SOC 381 - 002Sociology of Medicine11:45 - 01:00 M W1404 Williams Hall
- SOC 427 - 001Sociology of Law10:15 - 11:30 T H110 Winston Hall
- SOC 429 - 001Quantitative Data Analysis in Sociology01:30 - 02:45 T H110 1911 Bldg