Get the latest updates on NC State's response to COVID-19 (coronavirus) and access resources to stay informed. Learn more here.
Dr Virginia M Aldige
Emeritus Distinguished ProfessorSociology
2004 Outstanding Research Award
Teaching and Research Interests
- The Sociology of Mental Health
- Mental Health Law
- Mental Health Services
- Civil Commitment
- Outpatient Commitment
- Coercion in Treatment
- Criminalization of Mental Illness
- Violence and Victimization among persons with severe Mental Illness
- Hiday, VA, HW Wales, and BR Ray. 2013. "Effectiveness of a Short Term Mental Health Court: Criminal Recidivism One Year PostExit." Law and Human Behavior (June 17, 2013, Online First: doi:10.1037/lhb0000030).
- Burns, PJ, VA Hiday, and BR Ray. 2013. "Effectiveness of a Recently Established Mental Health Court." American Behavioral Scientist 57(2):189-208. (November 16, 2012, Online First: doi:10.1177/0002764212465416).
- Hiday, VA and HW Wales. 2013. "Mental Illness and the Law" in Handbook of the Sociology of Mental Health (2nd ed), edited by Carol S. Aneshensel, Jo C. Phelan, and Alex Bierman. New York: Springer, pp.563-582.
- Hiday, VA and HW Wales. 2011. "Criminalization and Mental Illness" in Applied Research and Evaluation in Community Mental Health Services: An Update of Key Research Domains, edited by Evelyn R Vingilis and Stephen A State. Montreal:McGill-Queens’ University Press, pp. 80 - 93.
- Hiday, VA. 2011. "Community Systems Collide and Cooperate: The Case of the Legal and Mental Health Systems" in The Handbook of Health, Illness & Healing: Blueprint for the 21st Century, edited by Bernice A. Pescosolido, Jack K. Martin, Jane McLeod, and Anne Rogers. New York: Springer, pp. 159 - 170.
- Wales, HW, VA Hiday, and B Ray. 2010. "Procedural Justice and the Mental Health Court Judge’s Role in Reducing Recidivism." International Journal of Law and Psychiatry 33(4): 265-271.
- Ph.D. in Sociology from University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- M. Ed. in Modern European History from University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- A.B. in International Studies from University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill