The Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Anthropology will allow you to focus on the interrelationships among the cultural, social and biological bases of human behavior in evolutionary and contemporary contexts. Our degree program emphasizes exposure to different cultures through classic ethnography, and a better understanding of the past through archaeology and human skeletal analysis.
Major in Anthropology
We require 30 credit hours for the major concentration. Our program will introduce students to anthropology with offerings in four subfields:
- Study cultural diversity through material remains.
- Investigate the form and function of the human body with an emphasis on evolutionary change over time.
- Examine the complexity of human culture including topics such as environment, health and well-being.
- Research how language influences social life.
Minor in Anthropology
Our minor focuses on anthropology as the comparative study of human beings. As such, anthropology is a broad discipline which includes the physical and cultural aspects humans. The minor permits flexibility in course selection — including offerings in cultural anthropology, physical anthropology, archaeology and linguistics.
- Completion of 15 hours of coursework in anthropology courses
- 9 of the 15 hours must be taken at NC State University
- No courses for the minor may be taken for S/U credit
- ANT 252 Cultural Anthropology (3 credit hours)
- ANT 200-level course (3 credit hours)
- ANT 300-level course (3 credit hours)
- ANT 400-level course (3 credit hours
- Choice of 1 additional Anthropology course (3 credit hours)
Add or Change a Major
Are you interested in adding a second major or changing your degree to Anthropology? We can help with that.
To add or change majors, students must complete NC State’s Change of Degree Application. Eligible students must have completed 12 ore more graded credit hours at NC State and have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher.
For Anthropology, preference will be given to students who meet the following qualifications:
- Cumulative NC State GPA of 3.0 or better, or
- GPA of 2.5 or better, AND completion of one ANT course (ANT 251, 252, 253, 254) with grade of B- or better
- Students with less than a 2.5 GPA should contact Stephanie Jares at email@example.com for more information.